Tuesday, April 7, 2020

"Mine"

Matthew 21:10 When Jesus entered Jerusalem, the whole city was stirred and asked, "Who is this?"

Jesus has come to the Holy City. He is riding in as a king and the people of the city are noticing. But they ask who he is; they don't know. I find that fascinating. He's been preaching in and around the region for three years and they do not know him. Of course, the throng with him lets them know, "This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee." There is something about this moment that connects for me to today. How often do I miss Jesus? How often does He come to me as a King and I ask, "Who is this?" I find myself wrapped up in my own kingdom, making decisions and choices the way I want. I claim my life, my body, my mind, my soul as a two-year-old, "mine." And then I am challenged by this compassionate Savior who reminds me that I have done nothing to have what I have. I did not create my soul. I have done nothing to give myself life. I did not create my body. My mind was formed within me by a much Higher Power. So, when I get to Holy Week and I begin to review "my" life, I am reminded that this is God's life. God created me and everything that is in me. My choices matter, but not because they are mine. They matter because I am a part of the Kingdom of God. I am connected to Him and all that is His. My choices either bring me closer to Jesus or farther from Him. There is no middle ground. And when I think my choices are all "mine," I completely miss the purpose of my Savior and my desperate need for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment