Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Look Death In the Face

John 18:37 "You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

I often wonder at what point Jesus understood who he was. Did he know when he was a teenager? Did he know in his twenties? When did it start to become clear to him? And what must that have been like? He would have understood so many things before they happened, and I still don't understand them on this side of it. As Pilate questioned him, Jesus did not waiver in who he was or why he was sent. He was on a mission. He knows what's coming. He knows where this conversation is going to take him. He isn't clueless about any of it. He knows all too well. He also knows the final victory, but I'm not really sure if that was even able to be in his mind at this moment. He's going to have to go through some horrific moments to get to that victory. What kind of man can do that? What kind of man can look death in the face with peace and calm. He doesn't shout. He doesn't get tough. He doesn't "man up" to use today's vernacular. He doesn't need to. His Kingdom is not of this world, and it is about to overcome the world. He is going to look death in the face with Authority and remove its hold on humankind. There is no fear, only peace. There is no anger, only love. There is no discouragement, only hope. That's the Kingdom I long for...peace, love, and hope. And it's offered to me here. How incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment