Friday, March 13, 2020

Through the Valley

Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

The psalmist begins the 23rd with the beauty of being with the Lord, "I shall not want...He makes me lie down in green pastures...He leads me beside still waters..." Then this verse. There is no going around the hard stuff. The psalmist walks through the valley. Ah, but there is goodness there too, "I will fear no evil, for you are with me..." Jesus is heading to Jerusalem. The road is not easy to travel to get there. He is going to take the long way, to revisit those places he's been before. He's going to walk the crooked path in order to make my path straight. He's going to fight the battle so that I can claim the victory. He isn't going to shy away and say, "Been there, done that." No, he's going to finish what he began. He's going to take the long road so I can have zero distance between God and me...even when I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. Jesus has been there, done that for himself and for me. He knows and understands it all, and He will comfort me. Goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and through eternity. The psalmist understood this even before Jesus walked on the earth. God's incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment