Thursday, March 12, 2020

Soul Knowledge

Romans 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

This can be a difficult verse to handle with the "share in his sufferings" line. Why do we struggle so much with suffering? I have asked this question in the past, but this Lent it is really sticking with me. I think it is because during Lent everything related to Jesus and his journey to the cross all seems to be about suffering. Now, of course I know about the hope that comes in the end, but if jump to the end then I write off the suffering even quicker. In today's culture we avoid suffering and it isn't healthy. So I'm going to go there a bit, because I know Jesus did. I'm thinking back on those things that have caused suffering in my life, but I must admit that the first thing that comes to mind with the suffering memory is the work of the Holy Spirit in that time. Mom's illness is a big one for me. I will always remember the specific grace afforded me when we would go to church on those Sundays during her long battle. The way the Holy Spirit would envelope my spirit to walk alongside the church family through the difficult days. The soul knowledge of that feeling is with me to this day. I haven't physically felt it since, which is a bit of a bummer for me. Does that mean I wish for more suffering? Gosh, no! It just means that I view suffering with the mindset that I know God will be present in it, and that makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment